According to the CDC, at least one in every 59 children in the U.S. will most likely receive an autism diagnosis. About 33% of people who have autism remain nonverbal while another 33% have an intellectual disability. More than 3.5 million of the American population is estimated to identify with this disorder.
Your child, or someone else you love, could be one of them. Here is a list of facts that you will need to know about this disorder:
- Autism spectrum disorder, more popularly known as autism, refers to a various range of developmental conditions that impair an individual’s communication and social skills.
- There are different types of autism since symptoms may vary on differing degrees. The following list usually constitutes the signs of autism:
- Your child would rather be on their own than play with other kids their age.
- They do not respond when other people point their attention to something of interest.
- They make little to no eye contact.
- They get fixated on a specific interest.
- Researchers have not yet found what specifically causes autism. However, they suggest that unavoidable environmental toxins and a combination of specific genes may lead to this disorder.
- There is currently no discovered cure yet for autism. However, studies show that intervention at the earliest possible time can help your child improve in all developmental aspects.
If you’re looking into availing of developmental disability care services in Alaska, look no further than Bright Horizon Homes! Our residential homes in Wasilla, Alaska provide extraordinary care to help your loved ones attain their optimum potential. We also offer Medicaid waiver services, among others. To know more about our services, contact us at 907-357-2233!