The World Health Organization states that between 110 to190 million people have serious difficulties in functioning and this is about 15% of the world’s population having some form of disability. This increase is said to be partly due to the aging populations and increase of chronic health conditions.This increase is said to be partly due to the aging populations and increase of chronic health conditions
The term disability is tremendously diverse. This results in poor health management and essential for extensive health care necessities. Individuals with developmental disabilities live with difficulties in life aspects such as language, mobility, learning, self-help, and independent living.
Bright Horizon Homes, a trusted provider of developmental disability care services in Kanabec Dr. Wasilla Alaska, highly deems communication vital for these people “to enjoy all human rights and freedoms”. Although the causes of such developmental disabilities are varied and sometimes remain unknown in many cases, communicating effectively with their loved ones and caregivers allow them to improve their participation in their daily activities—food to eat, clothes to wear, and so on—which in the long run, promotes a healthier quality of life.
This two-part series shares to you the most recommended and most effective strategies on how to effectively communicate to adults with developmental disabilities.
These are general tips to keep in mind when dealing with a person who has difficulty with communication:
- Allot extra time when exchanging information. They might have a hard time understanding the information they acquire in a short period of time.
- Get a language skill assessment. This evaluation will help the family members and the caregivers to choose the level of language they can use when dealing with their loved ones with a disability. This tool will also help distinguish the severity of their language incapability—mild, moderate, or severe communication difficulty.
- Some people with developmental disability have stronger comprehension than expression skills. They might easily understand things than express their thoughts about it. So, it is also better to check their level of understanding.
- They might tend to say something “out of nowhere” which maybe answers to questions asked a few hours ago. This is due to the delay in responding to the questions.
- Some people have severe disabilities includes the limitation in interpreting internal cues (i.e. need to urinate, hunger, anxiety). This is general because they have a difficulty in giving you the exact expression of their feelings. Your developmental disability caregiver may help you to better understand the gestures to understand his/her feelings and experiences.
- If you are surrounded by many distractions, move to a quieter location in the house where you can clearly communicate with them.
Individuals though have specific needs and want; therefore, you should be able to meet both ends for them or at least meet halfway to prevent from having problems at home. Given the complexity and specificity of these needs, the second part will dig deeper on the communication strategies.
But if you are already considering Bright Horizon Homes as your reliable provider of developmental disability care services in Kanabec Dr. Wasilla Alaska, call us today and do not wait for another minute to get the right care for your loved ones!